Subject: [Leica] Photokina Notes
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun Oct 17 19:37:37 2004

At 6:30 PM -0600 10/16/04, Tim Atherton wrote:
>Stephen, interesting report - thanks - did you see any cool new LF stuff...?
>
>tim

Nothing really new. Sinar is now almost all digital; in one corner
there was some film stuff. Talking to the Sinar guy, he mentioned
that they had a warehouse full of 5x7, 8x10 and 4x5 backs and
accessories. I asked when they were going to sell all that, and he
said something like 'when the price of aluminum goes up'.

At the Schneider booth, they showed some 'fine art' lenses, in
gorgeous brass mounts, with 'fine art' inscribed on the lens barrels,
and one such lens mounted on a Lotus 20x24 camera. That should be
large enough for almost anyone. It might be a while before we see a
digital single shot back for that camera.

On a more practical not, Keith Canham also had a small part of
Schneider's area, and had a glass case and a tripod with his
offerings. I had not seen a DLC before in person, and he gave me a
full demo, and seemed quite happy to have someone talk to him. Very
appealing camera, and very versatile. If I were looking for a good
and versatile field camera now, I could hardly do better. He stayed
at the same hotel we were at, and on Sunday morning said that he had
had a fair amount of interest one the weekdays, but not much on the
weekend. The weekend crowd is mostly locals looking for an
interesting outing than dealers or involved photographers. The other
people, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Linhof etc didn't seem to have anything
new except the odd little refinement on this or that accessory.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design