Subject: [Leica] Canadian Thanksgiving & why? OT but?
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Mon Oct 18 18:42:54 2004

Yep,

Most English Churches - especially, but not only, country ones will
celebrate Harvest Festival around that time of the year - a combination
civic/rural and religious festival celebrating the bounty of the fields (or
the fisheries if you live on the coast).

GO to an Anglican Church on Thanksgiving weekend and they will be singing
the English Harvest Festival hymns (We Plough the Fields and Scatter... etc)

When I first came to Canada I found this mix of English Harvest
Festival+US/New World imports (Turkey, cranberries, pumpkins etc) to be very
enjoyable.

Back when I was a young curate (before I became what I refer to as a
"recovering" Anglican....) I worked in a team that included part of Exmoor
in Devon and had 14 country parishes under it's care (with wonderful names
like Nymet St. George, Twichen and Chittlehampton) - I tell you, forget the
Xmas bulge, by the time you had gone to maybe 10 Harvest Festivals in the
first 3 weeks of October, with farm teas in 10 parish halls - fresh hams,
Devon clotted cream, apple pies, venison, goose etc etc you needed to buy a
larger pair of trousers....

Tim