Subject: [Leica] Summilux-M 35 mm
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll (Of))
Date: Wed Oct 20 06:19:17 2004

From: Leicainfo.com User Forum: Leica M-System : M-Lenses: 35mm summilux
1st version.

I've copied this message, I think that it could be very interesting know
other opinions, my own experience is only with the Summicron 2/35, as
aspherical I use the Tri-Elmar, but difference, for me, is no to much,
at least to justify the price difference, here's the message:
Luis

<<Posted by Andy Lo (Ninekit) on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 10:27 am:

I have got one of this pre-ASPH 35mm Summilux, and do not complain for
its slight softness and glow when used wide open at all. At open
aperture, the sharpness fall off from centre to edge rather quickly, and
could be quite annoying sometimes, but depends on the composition, if
used properly, it just add to the picture a dream like atmosphere, which
is very unique. When stopped down from F/4 onwards, the lens is just as
sharp and analytical as any other lens I have ever used.

Technically speaking, this lens is far from "perfect", nor as good as
the new ASPH Summilux, but it offer bags of characters. Its not really
very expensive at all, good condition used probably just cost about half
of the new 35mm Summilux ASPH.

Most of my more experienced mates actually prefer the non-ASPH family
than the new one, and from time to time, I heard of people regretting to
"upgrade" their non-ASPHs to the new one. Most of them complain the ASPH
versions become lack of characters and the bokehs are less smooth and
not as good looking as the old ones. This is all very subjective
though.>>