Subject: [Leica] Recent Leica 90/2.8 - Seeking Comments and Advice
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Oct 20 15:29:33 2004

Dan Colucci <colucci@thehearth.org> wrote:

> Ted - I am a collector of cameras and lenses as well as a long time
> amateur photographer....lenses can (and do) give a certain flavor to
> images...
>
> see one of my favorite pix of my niece here
>
> http://members.aol.com/dcolucci/m6.jpg
>
> the way this lens behaves is to my liking...not all lenses would produce
> the same result

>thus wrote Ted Grant:
>
>> I find comments like yours and those of others when describing the look
>> of a lens as quite interesting, as it never occurred to me to consider
>> the effect you folks see as making a successful photographic moment. I
>> suppose it's the subject some shoot where this Creamy effect is more
>> important than to those of us who work as photojournalists.

Likewise the pre-APO 90mm Summicron-R gives me a 'look' that's very
suitable for portraits that I don't get with a more modern lens like the
100mm APO.  A couple of years ago on one list I contemplated out loud the
option of replacing the 90 'cron with 80 'lux, since I had just purchased
the 100 APO and the 90's aperture and focal lenght are so close to the 100
APO.  I was met with a flood of "DON'T DO IT, YOU'LL REGRET IT" responses
and if I'm not mistaken Ted was a member of the chorus.  Not that the 80
'lux is a bad lens, but because of the 90 'cron's uniquely beautiful
'fingerprint'.  Even now the 90 is the lens I'll pick for family portraits
because of its 'fingerprint'.

http://www.wildlightphoto.com/family/kgjb.jpg
http://home.earthlink.net/~telyt/img/BUTTERFLY.JPG
http://home.earthlink.net/~telyt/img/3KIDS.JPG