Subject: [Leica] Recent Leica 90/2.8 - Seeking Comments and Advice
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll (Of))
Date: Thu Oct 21 06:37:47 2004

I'm absolutely agree with this message of John Collier, I had the same
experience.
Luis

[Leica] Recent Leica 90/2.8 - Seeking Comments and Advice

Hmm, this is a real love/hate lens and the only satisfactory
explanation I have come up with is that it has a significant sample
variation. Mine was sharp enough (except wide open and close but what
do you expect, it is an older formulation) but it had a strong
propensity to flare. Heck even bright tones would set it off! I bought
mine new and always used the long 12575 hood but still no go. I sold it
and bought a 90/2.8 Elmarit-M and was very pleased with the much better
performance (especially wide open and close). I have since traded for a
90/2AA which is just as good but it goes one stop wider. At the very
least always buy the T-E with a good return policy and check it
carefully!!

John Collier