Subject: [Leica] Friday FS: Epson R-D1
From: mail at gpsy.com (Karen Nakamura)
Date: Thu Oct 21 19:58:00 2004

>Karen, Epson now says they will sell the R-D1 here in US in Nov.!!!

Yes, although I hear they are listing at $3500.  With a 10% discount,
that's still $3200 + tax.  I hear that dealers aren't exactly jumping
all over it.

>I am holding off until more light is shed on this potential focus problem.

The R2 that the R-D1 is based on has a fragile RF too. They tend to
drift out of calibration if they are handled roughly. You can
recalibrate it yourself if you know how but it's not as simple as the
old Leica screw rangefinders.  You have to take the top off. My guess
is that Epson will do this for free during the warrantee period, but
you'd have to take it in.

Epson should use strong lacquer when gluing down the calibration
screws. It's not like the cameras are broken, but it's definitely a
pain when your RF drifts.

Karen

--
Karen Nakamura