Subject: [Leica] W--I--D--E Portraits
From: profmason at yahoo.com (John Mason)
Date: Fri Oct 22 11:41:36 2004

said:
>"It was better under S."  Most 40 or over will know
>who S. is.

Very sad, Daniel.  But not unexpected.

Just a week ago, Thomas Mapfumo (who as you know was
once a thorn in the side of the S. regime and is now a
fierce critic of M.) was in Charlottesville.

He lamented the state of the nation.  Someone
commented that it sounded like he was saying that
things are worse under M.  He said, "They're both
devils.  S. was a better devil."

This, of course, has less to do with nostalgia for the
racism of the S. years, than with anger at the way
that M. has betrayed the those who fought for freedom.

--John

=====
J Mason
Charlottesville, Virginia