Subject: [Leica] Genuine Fractals-any good?
From: bladman99 at yahoo.ca (Dan C)
Date: Mon Oct 25 08:05:37 2004

Indeed....a moment of truth!  ;-)

In terms of the Diana (or worse, the Holga) I think a viewer could
distinguish the difference from a mile away.  But, I've probably mentioned
this many times before, I have a 50/1.4 plastic barreled el-cheapo lens for
my Minolta AF camera which I purchased new about 15 years ago for $179 CDN
from a local store.  I consider this lens the equivalent of my 50
Summilux-M (pre-ASPH, I will give the benefit of the doubt to the new ASHP
version which would cost me > $3000 CDN).

In a very unscientific, meaningless image comparison challenge I once
posted to the LUG, everyone flunked, in an obviously meaningful way.

In all seriousness, if you have more original pixels, by all means use
them, you will end up with a better enlargement.  But if you don't, bicubic
or pyramid or fractal away at them, and you will still get good results.
Or dust off that old enlarger and make a real print and remove all doubt.

-dan c.

Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Genuine Fractals-any good?)