Subject: [Leica] Re: Interview on Zeiss Ikon
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Wed Oct 27 12:56:04 2004

And my Rolex still does and always has drifted 7 minutes over a 60 day
period, always in the fast direction.  The wife a few years back bought me
a Seiko Quartz watch, can't use it, the face and hands do not have enough
contrast to read in dim light, (Bad Choice of colors).  Also materials are
not very robust, crystal scratches easily and so does the chrome surface,
which then corrodes.  Nice watch, but just not practical for me.  Also the
Rolex does not need a battery, and is self winding, so I can just worry
about the time and not when and where I need to get a battery.  And after
15 years of daily use, there is not a single scratch on the crystal and
the case is in great shape.  I also use a old Elgin pocket watch, which is
surprisingly very accurate, as long as I remember to wind it.  I think the
wife paid $150 for it, which she thought was a horrendously high price for
it.

Gene

And my Rolex was so damn erratic I finally sold it - wearing a status
symbol was fun, but I was more in need of vaguely accurate time. I have
had similar problems with Omegas - never had those problems with quartz
watches, whether they cost $15, or $150. ;-)

And don't get me wrong, I really love the look and heft of the
traditional watches, to say nothing of the craftsmanship.