Subject: [Leica] Re: Cars
From: jean.louchet at inria.fr (Jean Louchet)
Date: Thu Oct 28 11:37:36 2004

Well, first test your backbones and bottoms against them. VAG (VW etc.),
Daewoo and Citroen have the most dreadful seats I know of. I remember a
600km motorway drive (5 1/2 hours) with a brand new Audi A3, took me one
day to get my back straight again.

The perfect car for us luggers should have non-tinted, flat optical glass
all around, perfect suspension and vibrationless engines, plus a built-in
tripod on the dash and remote shutter control on the steering wheel.

Worse, about all cars are getting dreadful and digital these years. IMHO
the best ones ever were the 4-cyl. Volvo 740/940, 1977-1980 240 (not the
earlier or later ones!), the pre-GM Saab 90 and 900 and mid-seventies
mercedes. Plus the fantastic Borgward Isabella, Volvo's manual+carburetted
164, 1966-70 Amazons, and some Studebakers. 1958 Chevys were not too bad.
Present production are just fast, efficient money pullers with crazy
maintenance costs. To stay OT I would compare some of them (those I know
best) in terms of both design and spirit:
 amazon to leica III. Everything in it is really useful, lacks the view
 164 to M5 beautiful but sometimes uselessly big and complex
 240 to M2/M3 all very rational and smooth
 740 to M6 a bit more refined but basically the same
 940 to MP a bit more more refined.
 Isabella to Nikon S?

> I have checked these out. Same problem as all VW Group
> cars - no cool air vents when the heater is on.

Didn't find how to switch on the heater on my M6. Please someone tell me,
winter and snow are already getting there!

Jean