Subject: [Leica] About the Summilux 50mm
From: luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll)
Date: Sun Oct 31 13:06:03 2004

Hello all,

I've read a lot of reviews of the three versions of this lens : 11114 (E43),
11168 (E46), and the new ASPH.

I actually own the Summicron M 50mm (11825) produced during 1978-1994, the
mainly point I see the Summilux as a more attractive lens is just the
contrary as the "defects" it seems it has, less contrast and sharpness,
except on the 5,6 - 16 range as is said by E. Puts, the fingerprint of
Summicron and Summilux is the same.

Erwin Puts says that "the older Summilux paints as Rembrandt, the new as
Vermeer...", on the other side on the Leica FAQ pages, I've visited
http://4020.net/unposed/, I've also visited
http://photos.oliversteiner.com/.

With Summicron I've never get the subtle tones I've see on these pictures;
for my preferences I think that I don't need the expensive ASPH.

I would like know your opinions, between the E43 and E46, and if it pays the
difference with the Summicron, for my personal experience a stop of F2 is
generally enough, the only point is about the difference in tones,
gradation...

Thanks for your opinions
Luis

Replies: Reply from jbcollier at shaw.ca (John Collier) ([Leica] About the Summilux 50mm)