Subject: [Leica] LHSA convention cluster bombs Part Two The Ending.
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Nov 2 15:36:50 2004

So while the nice German guy from Leica we see every year is up there one of
these guys around me puts up his hand and says to the effect:

"How about that secret Leica third system project that was put off with the
Leica Digital"

A Leica third system project!!!??!?!

Reminded me of the Cambridge spy ring meets Abbot and Costello.

Who's one third?  (Philby?)
I thought Blunt was on third!
Who's on forth? (Blunt!!!)
THERE IS NO FORTH!!
No that was Burgess!!!
I THOUGHT CAIRNCROSS WAS ON SECOND!

Such high intrigue combined with high farce!

Well the Leicaguy at the podium says that now that that is clearing away
they'll have time to get back to the secret Leica third system project. ...
To the effect...

WHAT COULD THAT BE!!????!?!?
My imagination ran wild in the Cambridge Abbot and Costello vein.

We've got Leica M rangefinder
We've got Leica R SLR.

And we don't really sound the misc. category of point and shoots made by
close cooperation with Satan.

If they are going to take it from my personal wish list which at this point
I'm really feeling is too much to ask or expect it would be a Leica medium
format camera.
Or half frame camera.
But I can see it being a more serious Leica AF system. Rangefinder or SLR.
(a friend of mine bought a gorgeous Leica medium format enlarger at the swap
meet on Sunday) And I mean gorgeous!!!

By the way the Leicaguy strongly hinted at a Leica R digital BODY like it
was a done deal squarely put in the near future but might as well be
considered history.
Which would be the obvious expectation.

They are not going to drag their digital heals much longer.

I think the mysterious third system/man will be an interchangeable lensed
much more automated like the Contax G made in Germany Leica system for the
less moneyed and less low tech included but with a better finder and
focusing system.
A drink and shoot. (single malt division)
With an affordable coming soon digital body made with the close cooperation
of a reputable angel coming up shortly as film cameras are just not selling
anyway.
And like the in Contax G system a zoom.
Which instead of being Zeiss made in Japan would be a Leica made in Solms.
A tri Elmar with the incremental focal lengths filled in.

This is not what I want but it is what they need.
It's what would sell.
And not completely embarrass anybody.
And keep them in the Leica business.

But who knows?!?