Subject: [Leica] LHSA convention cluster bombs Part One The Beginning.
From: lambroving at worldnet.att.net (William G. Lamb, III)
Date: Wed Nov 3 19:13:03 2004

Dan,

Sorry, twelve-hour day in the office today and am just getting to my mail...

"Bokeh" is one thing, "brittleness" is another. I'm not saying that APO
correction generally means that some images in harsh side-light will
be brittle. I'm observing that LEICA  lenses in the 90mm - 100mm range
appear to have this tendency, whatever their reasons may be, the 90 APO
ASPH in particular.

Since 2000, the direction Leica has been going in lens design as exhibited
by the 28 ASPH is a GOOD THING in my view. The results aren't harsh
and the corrections produce images in contrasty light which would have
been almost impossible a few years prior. As I said earlier, I have ordered
a 50 ASPH in the hope that this trend in lens design continues. I'm just
suspicious of the APO correction Leica did in the past and won't buy a
lens on blind faith with this designation until I've seen many examples of
its output. Trust this clarifies...

William

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] LHSA convention cluster bombs Part One The Beginning.)