Subject: [Leica] G5 isn't alone
From: Afterswift at aol.com (Afterswift@aol.com)
Date: Sun Nov 7 10:11:34 2004

> I'd recommend at least 2 GB RAM if you're going to be doing much in
> Photoshop. I have a dual processor G4/1.4 GHz machine and boy with 2
> GB of RAM and both scanning and editing 16 bit images...well...it uses
> ALL the memory.

I've been scanning prints with an HP 6200 and processing them in PS using a
Dell PC running at 450Mhz with 386MB RAM -- its limit -- for years with
excellent results. I don't have a neg scanner but use prints. Whatever
resolution I
choose, this modest combination does well. Although I have a G3 B&W running
386MB RAM, I've never used it for scanning, but I do use it to process my
Oly
5050 and D70 files via a card reader. Again, this fairly low powered tower
does
the work, even in System 9.

I've read that Intel's new basic processor for PCs will be the dual type.
They don't intend to increase clock speed. They probably expand to 64 or 128
bit.
About what the G5 has now. But are these high powered systems really
necessary or do they just sell computers? Reminds me of the ads during the
30s pushing
16 cylinder engines in luxury cars. Who can even buy a 16 cylinder car these
days?

Bob