Subject: [Leica] how old are u
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Sun Nov 7 13:28:26 2004

Philippe Orlent wrote:
> 47?

Sure, as common sense would suggest that
I was born some time in the last century, and
age should be counted starting from the day
of birth.

In contrast, the Vietnamese (picking up from
the Chinese) traditionally counted from the New
Year:  You are one year old the moment you are
born, and gain one year on each subsequent
New Year.

I am 48 years old in the traditional way.
And 46 in Western way (my birthday is toward
the end of December).  A little confusing, I know:
I am 46 in November, 47 in December,
still 48 in January, and 49 in February.   :-)

- Phong