Subject: [Leica] Trip to Ruegen
From: DouglasMSharp at netscape.net (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Sun Nov 7 15:33:30 2004

Hello Michiel,
I suspect that you won't have much difficulty with the German language.
http://www.all-in-all.com/ruegen/sehenswertes.html
Loads of stuff here. If you get the chance on the way there take a look
at Schwerin and Wismar before you get on to the island,
Schwerin has the most wonderful Schlo?. As to the island itself, it's
all beautiful landscape, at least where I've been .  There are famous
and very photogenic
chalk cliffs, Seebr?cken (Piers), pretty Wilhelminic resort  towns
around  Binz and Sellin in the east, a steam railway called the Rasende
Roland and an awesome
holiday centre planned by the Nazis at Prora which is supposed to be the
longest single building in Europe. A short ferry trip to the island
Hiddensee is worth it too.
I spent close on to a month on R?gen doing a seismic survey looking for
gas in the Jasmunder Bodden, unfortunately that meant I got to know the
island to a depth
of a couple of thousand meters better than I know the landscape.
Douglas