Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: grduprey at rockwellcollins.com (grduprey@rockwellcollins.com)
Date: Tue Nov 9 06:12:19 2004

I'd like to know where you people are finding these low prices at.  I sure
have not seen them.  especially a $1400 M7.  Best I have seen is $2100,
hardly half price.  Either way, if you like something and it does what you
want, buy it.  Who cares what the price is or if it will give you a great
return on your investment.  If you buy a Leica, or anything else for that
matter for it's investment purposes, then you are really wasting your
time.  I bought my Leicas because of the high quality, high reliability,
and excellent build quality, and last but not least, it lasts forever and
does what I want it to do, or at least for my lifetime.  My SL is still
ticking along just fine, although the R8 I recently purchased currently
has my eye.  And from what I have seen of it so far, it should be around
for at least as long.   Now stop squabbling about if it is worth it, and
start shooting.

Gene

On 11/8/04 4:37 PM, "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net> typed:

> Even me, the cheapskate, would take a used M7 for $1400...
> Anyone game?
>
> On topic ( like that really matters around here)..... The old Summilux
is
> selling for around $800-1000, and if you like the look of the lens, it
is a
> good buy.  They were always over $1000 a few months ago......
>
> The new ASPH ( John Collier has one ( or at least thinks he still has
it,
> but really Leica has it) and feels it is a wonderful lens) is $2500, and
> think  you should take it out for a test drive beore you spend that kind
of
> money for a 50mm lens.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net
>
> used M7s, which are now selling for, what, around $2800, are only
> worth approximately 50% of their new priced once they've been driven off
> the lot.

I think after spending 2500 bucks for a lens you could take it for a test
drive and get back nothing bug dog doo but you'd think it was really great
dog doo. Best you've ever seen. And ask for seconds.

An M7 for $1400 is like that guy who goes into the bar and orders a

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/