Subject: [Leica] clever
From: dpost at triad.rr.com (Dan Post)
Date: Tue Nov 9 09:38:13 2004

Douglas Herr wrote:

>Feli di Giorgio <feli@creocollective.com> wrote:
>

>>http://www.dpreview.com/articles/olympuse300/
>>
>>Here is a very clever mirror arrangement. I wonder how big the light loss
>>is
>>from bouncing around so may times. But still- very clever.
>>

>Is this at all like the viewfinder path in the Olympus Pen half-frame
>cameras?  If this is done with mirrors I'd expect light losses to be
>similar to a pentamirror like some of the consumer-grade N and C DSLR
>cameras.
>

>Doug Herr
>Birdman of Sacramento
>http://www.wildlightphoto.com

I understood the Digital Rebel used a mirror arrangement instead of a
prism, as well as a polycarbonate chassis instead of metal to save
weight, and money in manufacturing.
I considered the Rebel after asking about a good starting digital on the
LUG- the answers were favorable, but I opted for a good used 10D when
the 20D came out- I trust the pentaprism and a metal chassis more- call
me a throwback, but so far the 10D has not been a disappointment!

Howsomever, I don't care what folks might say about the simplicity of a
digital camera... my old IIIf has a damned sight fewer buttons, doodads,
and assorted frippery than the digital, and is easier to use. I am still
carrying around a 200 page manual whenever I take the 10D out for an
airing!! :o)

With the IIIf, All I needed was an extra roll of film, the Sunny 16
rule, and polycontrast poaper in the darkroom!
Cheers!

Dan