Subject: [Leica] More signs of the Digital Age
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Wed Nov 10 06:42:57 2004

Hi All,

I have to agree with Frank here, and go a little farther. The
acceptable dpi resolution depends on a number of variables, including
the image source and final print size versus viewing distance.

In my (now considerable digital) experience, prints from my "old" 10D
and now my 20D, depending on the subject matter, look good at sizes up
to 20 x 30 inches. Stepping up the "resolution" via Photoshop CS's
Image Size, Bicubic Smoother interpolation sometimes helps, but is not
always necessary. The absence of aliasing and blurring of film grain
turns out to be a big help.

But missing from this conversation is the old viewing distance
variable. The actual resolution may be 100 dpi, but viewed from 3 feet
away as is common for large prints, it makes little or no difference.

Will von Dauster
Boulder, Colorado
Personal Account

Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] More signs of the Digital Age)