Subject: [Leica] SUMMILUX 50/1,4 Asph
From: gregj.lorenzo at shaw.ca (GREG LORENZO)
Date: Wed Nov 10 08:09:19 2004

John Collier writes:

> Hey People!!
>
> I keep hearing the problem with my lens as proving, or at least hinting
> darkly, that the design of the 50 Summilux-Asph must be flawed.

We read that (nonsense) right here on the LUG in response to your post. Best
thing to do is to consider the source!

> Horse pucky!! Mine is the only lens I have heard that has had problems
> and I have read about almost ten others by now. Can't we treat mine as
> an unfortunate anomaly until proven otherwise? I think next time I'll
> keep my big mouth shut until a problem is resolved!

I agree. One exception does not make the rule.

> PS: You can't seriously think that Tom wouldn't comment on an
> annoying sticky focus movement!!!

I used Tom's new Summilux last weekend while in Vancouver shooting about 1/3
to 1/2 a roll of Tri-X 24. While I won't have my developed film back until
later today, the build quality of Tom's example is impeccable. The focus
buttery smooth to and from infinity. I like the design of the attached hood,
but it could be improved by increasing the travel of the lock.

Regards,

Greg