Subject: [Leica] What Images Will Be Left In 10 years, let alone 30 or 60?
From: mak at teleport.com (mak@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 12:00:16 2004

As a long time Apple Developer I have a library of CDs dating back to the
mid to late 1980's and an archieve of digital images shot in 1993-94 with
the QuickTake 100 1995-96 with the Minolta RD 175 and later...along with
Kodak Photo CDs from 1992 1993 1994 and 1995...

The vast majority of the old CDs read fine in modern Macs (and PCs) (as do
MO disks written more than 10 years ago...MO the ancestor of CD R CD
RW)...more than 99.9% are fine these stored in a home office environment in
standard jewel cases accessed as needed and treated like a CD...(if your CDs
double as coasters on the coffee table perhaps they will not last as long)

I am pretty sure that it will be easy to find a 40th Anniversary Mac that
folds up and has a 3-D display...and reads .jpg images off CDs and DVDs

While it is an important issue for libraries it is a non issue for home
users...

(Sort of as a joke we have a 1984 Apple IIc with Word Perfect up and running
as we speak in our lobby welcoming visitors to a technology fair on a 9"
green screen...pulled it out of a basement closet plugged in the cables
tossed in the disks and hit GO)