Subject: [Leica] Summilux vs. Summicron
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Nov 10 19:22:33 2004

Well, B. D. you have a point. Even though you seem to be making it with
all the triumphalism of a fundamentalist on November 3.  :-)

---
No, Peter - I just get really tired of hearing the "passing fad"
nonsense. As I've said repeatedly, if digital disappeared tomorrow, no
one would be happier than I would - well, I guess the Kodak and Fuji
brass would be even happier. But I really do gag reading the nonsense.
-----

But I wonder if the P&S user will truly get as much of a cost benefit as
they think.  They have to buy a camera, printer, paper, and expensive
ink that dries out if not used regularly.  And unless they learn at
least some photo editing, they will still be plagued with red-eye,
pictures with excessive contrast, washed-out highlights (including those
precious flash pictures of Grandma and Junior), etc.
----
They had the same problems with their film p&ses...washed out
highlights, red eye, etc. And it was the rare lab that wasn't staffed
with kids who didn't give a rat's behind what kind of results they
returned to customers.
-----

Will they care?  I suspect some will, and might still use film for
important occasions. Enough to matter?  Who knows?  People's taste seems
very moldable by the marketeers.  The word "digital" has been made into
synonym for "better."   If perception is reality, we're in trouble.

------
I don't think it's been made into a synonym for better - rather it's
been made into a synonym for 'faster,' or 'instant,' just like
'Polaroid..'
-----
Now, how about the reasonbly knowledgeable amateur who owns a working
film SLR?  They already have the camera.  A P&S digital won't give them
the same image quality that their SLR did.  To buy a DSLR or even a
high-end digicam is expensive.  Film may still make sense if they only
shoot a few rolls a year.
------
True...They may well decide to stick with film. But my guess is that
they already have a Nikon or Canon SLR, and will spring for an N70 or
Rebel body, and will use the lenses they already have.
------

Even for a amateur with semi-pro-level knowledge, the cost issue is
complex.  I worked out that at the rate I shoot film (2-3 dozen rolls a
year), it would take me about 3 years for my new E-1 to pay for itself
(yes, folks, I just took the plunge and bought an Olympus E-1).  I will
probably shoot more with digital, since it "doesn't cost anything." And
as you say, I will learn more.  But the cost savings will be in pictures
I wouldn't have shot if I hadn't gotten a DSLR.
------

It's true it may take three years if you don't shoot more. But if you
shoot more, in a sense it will pay for itself faster. (I realize that's
a bit specious, but what the hell)
-------

I didn't buy a DSLR to save money. I bought it because I want to
eliminate the time and hassle of scanning from pictures where digital
will be just as good for the intended purpose.  I have many pictures
that I think are good, but I've never scanned.  I ran out of time, I got
tired.  Then I shot another roll, the previous one went into the storage
box, and who knows if I'll ever get to it again?  With digital, there's
less "stuff" between me and a finished picture.
-----True

But I don't doubt for a minute that I will continue to shoot film.  Even
the E-1 feels big and clunky compared to a Leica M.  I can't take it
everywhere, all the time.  The "look" is not the same as film.  The
dynamic range is a lot less than negative film, and if you err on the
side of overexposure, bye-bye
shot.

----
I'd suggest that while the dynamic range is limited on the high end, it
is greater on the 'low end.' It sure looks to me as though I am getting
more shadow detail than I was with tri-x. And I know that I do better
shooting digital in low light than I did shooting film,
------
There are a lot of places in the world where film is still viable as a
mass market (Anywhere in the Third World, for example).  And there may
be enough diehards to keep it alive even here, once the digital sales
curve peaks.

The question is whether the "death of film" will be a self-fulfulling
prophecy, brought on by marketeer's hype and "American business'
ostrich-like obsession with the quarterly profit at the expensse ofthe
long view."  Or whether Kodak will keep selling film as long as we will
buy it. I suspect Fuji will.  As will some enterprising souls in Eastern
Europe and elsewhere.
----
Yes, film will be around for a long time in one way or another. But I am
a bit puzzled by your reference to "American business' ostrich-like
obsession with the quarterly profit at the expenses of the long view."
Business, Peter, is about making money, not about preserving the past.
What 'long view?' Things change. As long as there's a market for film
that allows manufacturers to make the return their stockholders demand,
there will be film. After that there may be Mom and Pop film businesses.
But why would we expect manufacturers to continue to produce film if
they can't make money on it? Have no fear, however, as the market will
be there for many years to come.
---------

I agree that the market will shake out, and there will be less film and
processing available.  The question is how fast will it happen, and how
much.  Those of us in or near major cities will probably be OK.  Those
elsewhere may not be.  So far it's happened faster than most of us would
have believed.  But there might be a plateau rather than a continued
acceleration to zero.

-----

I don't think you're going to see a plateau until we're down around 5 or
10 - on a scale of 100. But there really is no reason to expect a
plateau sooner. Digital cameras, storage media, printers, etc., are
getting less expensive and better with every passing year, if not every
six months.
-------

--Peter