Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAW 43: Florida
From: nathan.wajsman at planet.nl (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed Nov 10 23:40:01 2004

With some delay I am slowly catching up...good thing I do not have to
scan ;-)

Following our weekend in the NY/NJ/PA area, we spent a week in Florida.
I promise you there is not a single image from the beach or from Disney
here. I know Florida well, having lived there for 6 years, so I spent
most of the time with our family in Gainesville, at the beach in
Jacksonville, and driving around North Florida. I will set up a larger
gallery later; for the PAWs I have selected pictures of the people I
met/saw, since as with every trip, meeting the locals was the most
interesting part.

But no trip to Florida can be complete without a welcome image like this:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_43.jpg

Now to the people. For the full redneck experience I drove to Macintosh,
a town (if it can be called that) about 15 mi south of Gainesville, but
it could as well be in another country. While Gainesville is a lively
college town with all it entails, Macintosh has no supermarket, no bars,
no ATM, but five churches or more (I counted five). They were having the
town fair, and I was waiting in line behind this lucky winner of a
wholesome toy:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_43alt1.jpg

Here is an iconic biker image from Jacksonville Beach:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_43alt2.jpg

A couple at the Macintosh town fair:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_43alt3.jpg

And a man with friend at the same place. His shirt clearly shows that
this is Gator (as in University of Florida Gators) country:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_43alt4.jpg

Another canine image, taken at a quintessentially American event, a
T-ball game in Jacksonville:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_43alt5.jpg

At the St. Augustine Alligator farm (where the main picture was also
taken) they do a pretty good job of explaining the reptiles and turtles
to the audience. It is well done, with a mix of fun and serious info (no
  gator wrestling here):
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_43alt6.jpg

And finally, from Gainesville, a guy I met on University Avenue. From
our conversation he appeared to be what we in Denmark used to call
"eternal student":
http://www.nathanfoto.com/paw/2004/2004_43alt7.jpg

The complete PAW index is at:
http://www.nathanfoto.com/indexpaw2004.html
and comments/critique are welcome and appreciated as always.

BTW, those who want technical data can scroll down below the table of
thumbnails.

Nathan
--
Nathan Wajsman