Subject: [Leica] Photographic essay of a major disability protest in Japan
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Nov 11 13:41:21 2004

On 11/11/04 9:52 AM, "Karen Nakamura" <mail@gpsy.com> typed:

> On October 20th 2004, there was a major disability protest in Tokyo.
> I took a series of photographs that I've organized into a
> photographic essay on my home page:
>
> http://photoethnography.com/gallery/dpij-protest2004/index.html
>
> Comments welcomed.
>
> Karen Nakamura
> Assistant Professor of Anthropology
> Macalester College

Assistant Professor of Anthropology does this mean we have to be nice to
you!!!?!!
I'm particularly  impressed by your top twelve concept:

http://photoethnography.com/gallery/index-frameset.html?dpij-protest2004/ind
ex.html~mainFrame

These shots define you. And for me they hold up real well.

To me that like nothing else is putting your money where your mouth is as a
photographer.

Lots of people you meet from the internet it's like "I'm a photographer see
my cameras?"
When you go to their house or they come over.
Or on their websites I guess.

If you see their pictures its the shots they got from their new lens they
took last week. 4x6 snaps. Unedited in a stack in the paper envelope they
came in. Not even a direct comparison test.

But to fearlessly go though ones work and show your true colors by picking
out what you think is your best work and saying
"this is my stuff"
It's too defining for most people. Like an IQ or SAT test.
Who really wants to know? Or for others to find out?

Like not only are you not the coolest thing since sliced bread as a
photographer but you're kind of not so great. (not you Karen!!)

People who have taken serious photo courses and are into being a
"photographer" will generally have a "portfolio" and I don't mean the
software from Extentious.

Your set of twelve is in effect your portfolio as far as I go.

Without which, IMO, a "photographer' is not a photographer. And I'm not
talking pro vs. amateur. But serious vs. dilettante....
    but someone who likes to play around with cameras.

Which is not really a bad thing. Why not have fun?!?
Just as long as you know that this is what you are doing and not kidding
yourself or other people.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon