Subject: [Leica] Was UV, now on to better things
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (Bob Palmieri)
Date: Fri Nov 12 08:12:52 2004

Mark -

Well reasoned, entertaining and stylish, as always.  How any of us
still have another stroke left with which to beat this very dead horse
is remarkable in itself.  Bince you have raised a number of very good
points, I feel specific answers are in order (the original post and
response appear below.)

Actually, I do (or did) take the things off most of the time.  I think
that a lot of the potential damage that people are trying to protect
against is stuff that might happen when the camera is not being used.

"Work well" is indeed kinda vague.  Since I shoot Neopan 1600 in my M's
a lot, max res. is not always the most important thing.  Lack of flare
is very important, however, and that's the main thing that convinced me
to lose these things, even the nice multicoated ones.  And since I
rarely have the patience to run controlled A/B tests on anything, it
was a gradual sense that I was likin' the filter-free snaps better over
a coupla years that reulted in my current net-free policy.

And speaking of optical acuity, I (and I think many other shooters) use
M's much more for their functional virtues.  I got no aspherics ('cept
the 15 VC, which hardly counts) or APO's.  The reason I don't shoot
with a Pentax is that it's often too big, I can't focus as quickly or
accurately and it's noisier.

In conclusion, I was just trying to present a compromise for those
folks who don't want to risk full frontal element exposure all the time
and don't use caps or hoods for protection.

The slipcover thing is pretty good.

Bob Palmieri

> Folks -
>
> As regards this whole neutral filter thing, I'd like to suggest that
> the following version of the "clear lenscap" approach has worked well
> for me in the past.
>
> 1. You put the UV/Skylight filter of your choice on the lens.
>
> 2. Most of the time, when you want to take a snap you take it off like
> a screw-in lenscap.
Except that you don't.

> 3. Every once in awhile for a grabshot you "shoot through the cap."
>
> This having been said, I'm hardly ever using the things these days, but
> it's one approach that may work well for some people and situations.
>
> Bob Palmieri

It depends on what you mean by "work well" that's a little vague.

If it means you can tell who the person is who you took a picture of
then
sure.

Nobodies going to throw you in jail for using a UV filter that's for
sure.

But to spend thousands on glass instead of hundreds because of quality
issues and then compromise those optics for no well thought out reason
then
no I don't feel there is good logic behind that which "works well".

Yes the pictures do "come out".

Why not just shoot with a Pentax and not worry about it?

It's like the plastic sofa covers you take off for company except you
don't.
  that red wine is nasty!

And in the summer you don't sit on it with your shorts and sticky hot
thighs!

UV filters are the sticky see through plastic furniture covers of
photography.

Unicorns on the front yard...
And in limited high signed hand numbered editions on little shelves in
your
bathroom.

Mark Rabiner
Photography