Subject: [Leica] 4x5
From: nicholsj at edge.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri Nov 12 09:56:50 2004

Feli,

The Speed Graphic is a little awkward to use in the portrait orientation,
but it was done routinely by newspaper photographers.  A more common source
of the vertically-oriented photos may have been studio cameras.  My late
father-in-law used an 8x10 studio camera fitted with a 5x7 back in which
two 3 1/2 x 5 images could be made by sliding the film holder from one stop
to another.  This was a more economical way of using materials during the
1930s and 1940s, and simplified developing.  Contact prints were made on
proof paper exposed to sunlight.  The customer could view the proofs and
make a final selection for permanent printing.

Jim Nichols