Subject: [Leica] trees, rocks, and things that crawl through tubes
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 14 15:05:08 2004

On 11/14/04 5:06 AM, "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> typed:

> Eric wrote:
>
>> Do these work for you?
>>
>> http://canid.com/current/river_bank2.html
>> http://canid.com/current/park4.html
>>
>> Xtol 1:3.  Acros 100.
>>
>> --
>> Eric

My problems with these otherwise fine shots are the overall high key high
contrast look of them which I think is a loss of perspective which occurs to
in the "printing" process even when it doesn't take place in the darkroom.

Sometimes it works to show your ongoing work to a less involved observer.
In other words.. Someone else.
Like your 5 year old kid.
Any other pair of eyes.

"daddy why are those pictures so bright and hard!!!?!"

There's no reason why these film developer dilution combination should not
make smooth rich images scanned or darkroom printed. Especially scanned
where some severe over development could have been countered. Or under even.

Anther big thing which distracts me from really thinking that this is top
top work is the out of focus foregrounds. Big out of focus rocks and feet.

Out of focus backgrounds sure. But ones eye will certainly travel to the
bottom of the print to where the caption or signature is. And next to it is
mush I say.

This is a thing with what I define to myself as "overkill" technique.
I use this term for myself and not so much to others when I think of work
done on way slower film than is really required as the shooter does not make
20x24's and calls them "proofs".
And also hand held.
Of the people there is the wide open ethic which justifies in many minds
Leica glass. But this is not all the way there.
I first see rather straight looking landscapes.
Out of focus backgrounds fine. That can even ADD to a look just like the
wide open shooting thing. But there's not a lot of wide open shooting thing
with landscapes. And what we end up with shots which, if the foregrounds
were sharp we'd have a real solid shot which should be blown up the size of
the wall. I guess I wrote that twice.
But they'd have to be shot with a tripod and the foreground made to be in
focus. The slightly usually option would also then be to have the background
soft instead of sharp.
But soft foregrounds like the rocks on the bottoms of these shots I really
don't think work.

People think of tripods as being cumbersome life style ruiners.
Destroyers of spontaneity. Not Leica like.

The truth is a tripod will set you free.

Pick the f stop and shudder speed of your dreams.
Slice out what you do and don't want in focus to a tee.

Give me a big slice today I'm not on my diet.
It kind of gets me when I see people out with a medium format with slow or
medium speed film. That's overkill in my book. The shooter is hobbling
themselves. Just put the thing on a nice not overly heavy tripod and really
get some usable shots.

To me when you use Xtol 400 is medium to high rez film.
100 is ultra high rez.

Neopan 1600 will give you better than early 1980's tri x in d76 1:1 results.
The 400 stuff and other 400 speed brands in Xtol is virtually grainless even
at 11x14.
The 100 might as well be tech pan. Use it for texture screens and tripod
work. Stuff which you know will be mural size. Electron microscope headshots
of fly's.
Or in the studio where with your studio strobes anything more than ASA 200
is just inconvenient and unnecessary. This is the case with my setup where I
can shoot at f11 with dispatch at asa 100.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/