Subject: [Leica] kyle's taking portraits ...
From: nicholsj at edge.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sun Nov 14 18:56:41 2004

Dan,

I have a Leica IIIa with a similar modification.  The modifications were
done by Leica/New York to synchronize earlier cameras with flashbulbs and
electronic flash.  I bought mine in 1952 and it was already modified at
that time.  There were two separate models, one for flashbulbs and another
for electronic flash.  Mine is for bulbs, and the slide allowed a timing
adjustment to match the shutter-open-time to the plateau of the
illumination curve for the bulb in use.  It worked primarily at 1/20th of a
second.  I used it successfully with Sylvania Press 40 and GE #11 bulbs,
which gave more light than the smaller focal plane bulbs.  Somewhere, I
have the instruction booklet that gives the slide settings and shutter
speeds that are useful with the flashbulbs of that era.

In the modification process, a slot was milled in the disk on the bottom of
the shutter speed adjustment shaft, the disk which rotates when the shutter
is tripped.  The baseplate had a small pin that engaged this slot. ( I'm
not sure that the baseplate could be used on another camera, because each
one was matched and the serial number recorded on the baseplate.)  This
arrangement connected the synch action to the shutter.  If I recall
correctly, the baseplate could only be installed when the shutter had not
been rewound, so that the spring-loaded pin mechanism could engage the
slot.  Otherwise, if the base was forced on with the shutter rewound, the
mechanism could be damaged.

Since the useful bulbs are no longer available, the whole arrangement is
more of a curiosity than a useful gadget.  I bought a regular baseplate
years ago and use the camera as a regular Leica.

Jim Nichols
nicholsj@edge.net

it is ....  Some kind of flash sync-ing device ? There is a sliding metal
switch on the side...but it doesnt seem to do anything....the job seems
professionally done and inside the body's serial number is stamped..... ?