Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Wed Nov 17 19:58:13 2004

on 11/17/04 5:51 PM, Rick Dykstra at rdcb37@dodo.com.au wrote:

> what's the LUGs view on how 10.5 Mpix
> compares with good film?  I enlarge from film to 20x30in, via a 6144 x
> 4096 scan.  The digi back's sensor is way less pixels than this, by my
> calculations, good for around 8 x 12 at the same resolution.  Not bad,
> but not as good as film.

There isn't a direct correlation between pixels from scanned film and native
pixels.  The scanned photo needs to have quite a few more pixels to make up
for the losses inherent in making the scan.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled)