Subject: [Leica] 35mm normal vs asph or aspherical lens
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Thu Nov 18 13:02:45 2004

I understand the arguments in favor of the late versions of the 35
Summicron - IF you don't need the extra stop. The Summicron is a lovely
lens. I do not, however, understand the love affair with the original 35
Summilux. Yes, it is wonderfully compact. But it is a grossly inferior
lens in terms of both "sharpness" and flare suppression. People can talk
about bokeh all they want, but it you lose your subject to flare - which
is a pretty common problem with that lens, who cares how glorious the
bokeh is. The ASPH version of that lens is bigger and heavier - although
not when compared to any other manufacturer's 35 1.4 ;-) - but it is
tack sharp and virtually flare free, to the point that some people on
this list insist that they regularly use it without a shade. The
differences between the original 35 Summilux and the ASPH version are
differences - big differences - of functionality. The differences
between the late 35 Summicrons and the ASPH Summicrons are more
differences of taste.