Subject: [Leica] 35mm normal vs. ASPH or Spherical...Some nonsense
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Nov 19 15:01:58 2004

>snippet<
>>

> This discussions seems entirely analogous to the "megapixel" debates re
> 5 mp vs. 10 mp vs. 22 mp sensors. Sure 5 mp will give an acceptable
> image just as the pre-Asph 35 'lux works just great in most situations
> -- I've produced fine pics wide open staring into lights. Sharpness (nor
> resolution) are  not the only qualities by which we judge a photograph.
> That said, for subjects which are intended to be tack sharp or for whom
> it is best to exhibit the finest detail, technological advances are
> helpful. But that said, many times an old lens produces a nice glow.
>
> Jonathan

It also depends on use as in size.
How big the shots typically get blown up.
And how big they occasionally might get blown up.

To determine the usefulness of a certain sharp or not so sharp look from a
given lens and f stop and film developer dilution time or a push from a
transparency.  F stop. Flash setting.
Technique.

If you know it's 80 dot screen newsprint 3 inches across it's not going to
make a whole lotta difference. Unless they decide to make a billboard out of
it. Those halftone dots look funny that big!! :) Like the tops of paint
cans!

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon