Subject: [Leica] Re: Advice needed: Should I set up a darkroom or not?
From: malland at mac.com (Mitch Alland)
Date: Sat Nov 20 21:01:05 2004

> If you plan to sell art prints, some galleries or even photo art
> magazines
> (B/W) only accept traditional B/W processes.

But this is changing faster than you might think. Ten days ago I was at
ParisPhoto, a large annual photo fair at the Carousel du Louvre, in
which over 100 galleries from all over the world participate: there
were a lot of digital prints, particularly very large prints. While
galleries that deal with vintage prints obviously had only silver
prints, the many galleries that had digital prints did not have to
explain why or what type of digital prints they had. In other words, no
reason to "feel ashamed" about digital prints. And most potential print
buyers that I saw milling around the galleries did not ask anything
about prints being digital -- they just looked at the prints and
discussed the photographer and prices with the galleries.

The week before at FIAC, the large international annual art fair in
Paris, I met a gallery from Milan that deals ONLY with digital prints
--- and this gallery was participating in FIAC which is a fair mainly
for paintings.

Also, speaking with photo galleries I found that they wanted, or
expected to, receive photos to look at by e-mail. In the case of my
current series this is the only practical thing as my pictures are 1x2
meters (40x80 inches). After I showed them 4x6 inch digital photos of
the large pictures --only good enough to get an idea of the scale --
the galleries that were interested all asked for me to send them jpeg
files of the large pictures by e-mail.

---Mitch/Bangkok