Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 21 15:51:54 2004

On 11/18/04 3:03 PM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> typed:

> Reichmann believed the 6mp 10d rivalled 35mm. I agree if judged from
> prints rather than pseudo scientific bollocks. He claims the original
> 1Ds is close to 6x4.5 quality. I have no comment as I haven't compared
> prints. He uses a digital back on a Contax 645.
> Frank
>

> On 18 Nov, 2004, at 06:23, Feli di Giorgio wrote:
>

>> On Nov 17, 2004, at 9:00 PM, Richard wrote:
>>>
>>> Of course there are some people of the opinions that the 1Ds and the
>>> new 1Ds MkII is VASTLY better than 35mm, rivalling medium format. At
>>> least Michael Reichmann of Luminious Landscape is quite reasonable
>>> about discussions, but there are others who use Michael and other
>>> websites as proofs that how much better 11Mp is. e.g.
>>> http://www.leica-camera.com/discus_e/messages/2/95118.html?1100749479
>>
>> Didn't Reichmann also believe that the 6MP 10D was better than 35mm
>> and almost
>> as good as MF?
>>
>> I shot a 1Ds (11mp) against my Hasselblad. The Hassy won.
>>

>> feli

This is the last paragraph of his review of the new canon S as a prototype.

"I expect to be able to publish a comparison with the original 1Ds, and also
against the Phase One P25, in the next couple of weeks, and will update my
thoughts and experiences with the 1Ds Mark II once I have a chance to use it
more extensively in the field.

Michael H. Reichmann
Toronto ? November 16, 2004"

I think he will define for himself and those who believe him at that point
the relationship between 24x36 35mm CCD capturing and Medium format CCD
capturing. Perhaps even try to tie that in with film.

The $ relationship at this point I think is 8 grand for the 1Ds Mark II and
20 Gee's for the Phase One P25.

Hey if I'm going to trade in my Chevy for a canon why not just sell the
whole fleet and get the back for my Hassy?

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/