Subject: [Leica] Re: Nikon's profits tripled
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Nov 21 18:19:59 2004

On 11/21/04 5:50 PM, "Feli di Giorgio" <feli2@earthlink.net> typed:

> On Nov 21, 2004, at 2:29 PM, B. D. Colen wrote:
>
>> The D2H was the only Nikon pro camera so limited, and that one was
>> limited that way because at the time they came out with it they were
>> going for shooting speed, rather than pure image quality.
>
> Canon came out with their 8MP (x1.3), 8fps 1D Mark II camera around
> the same time. I think even Nikon knows they dropped the ball, because
> there is a rumored D2h upgrade in the works.
>
>> Nikon has been
>> aiming for the working PJ market, which is why they haven't worried
>> about full size sensors, etc...But the D1x did not have that iso
>> limitation.....
>
> Right, but it's their newest camera and they are continuing down this
> road with the D2X. Sooner or later they are going to hit the brickwall
> of physics. You can only cram so many pixels in to such a small space
> and not run into big problems with noise, crosstalk etc. 12MP in an APS
> size sensor is really pushing it, which is probably why the D2x tops out
> at 800asa with 1600 and 3200 as extended modes. If they can't afford
> to jump to full frame then maybe they should move to a x1.3 size, like
> the
> Canon 1d II uses. Of course we all may be pleasantly surprised this
> spring
> when it comes out, but I think this may be it for x1.5 pro cameras.
>
> I hope Nikon changes their direction, I really prefer their cameras over
> those from Canon.
>

> Feli

Very soon they're all going to figure out just how big the file sizes really
have to be which is not all that big for PJ and lots of other work and the
competition won't be for file size any more but QUALITY!

Sure there will be cameras with APS-c large file sizes, full frame 24x36
CCD's and medium and large format CCD's which blur together for the
landscape photographers and others who need files that size. But how many
really do? How many applications and markets?
A definite but not overwhelming segment.

Perhaps less than what used medium and large format film but perhaps not.
Now its been reduced to a kind of crude pissing contest.

To win undecided voters.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon