Subject: [Leica] Best 400 ISO Film for Contrast?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Nov 22 09:55:34 2004

On 11/22/04 7:57 AM, "GREG LORENZO" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca> typed:

> I picked up a roll of Ilford HP5+ as the photo shop had no Tri-X. Nice film
> but I found it lacking contrast.
>
> What do you use when shooting B&W 400 iso film?
>
> Regards,
>
> Greg

Gregg if you soup the HP5+ for more time it will have more contrast than any
other 400 film "normally" souped.

"contrast" in black and white film is a function of development.
Not the film itself.
"develop me right and I'll follow you anywhere"
Is says on the box somewhere real small.

For people who have their films run in professional labs some labs will over
soup a certain film and under soup another.

In this sense a certain film will have more "contrast" than another as
that's the results you're getting from your lab.
Tell them to do an N+1 or a one stop push which is darn close to the same
thing and you'll be needing a contrast grade less paper to print it will.
Or get a contrast snappier results from the same paper grade you usually
use.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon