Subject: [Leica] New Gallery - A Hush
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Mon Nov 22 11:08:44 2004

> Also, what color space do you work in?  I've just left it in sRGB.

Until recently I didn't think this mattered very much, but then I started
doing some high-end print publication work. Suddenly it mattered a lot.

Here's why.

Suppose that you are working with the image of a page that is mostly white
(as paper is), but it has something printed on it (which is why you are
working with it).

If you are working in a color space that is different from that of the
printer, and you set something white, bad things might happen: when the
printer gets the file, he must of course convert it from your working
profile into the profile of his printing press, so that he can print it. If
there is any significant difference between the printer's profile and your
working profile, then the white will suddenly become light magenta or light
yellow or pastel blue, or gray, or whatever. The translation between color
profiles can change the overall cast of the image, and if you are working
with printing-press imaging, you need to make sure that places that want to
be white are actually white.

The same phenomenon affects all colors, of course, but it's easiest to see
with the white areas, because on a printing press, white means "no ink here
please", and if some ink gets put there, it is VERY noticeable.

As a result of this I have changed my work habits, and I now always edit
images using the profile of the final output device as my working profile.
Photoshop and Illustrator and InDesign will of course translate that working
profile to my display profile, so that what I see on my screen is my
display's best ability to reproduce that color.

Until I had this epiphany, I used to edit everything in Adobe RGB 1998.

If the final output device is going to be the WWW, then I use sRGB as my
working profile.

Replies: Reply from lists at heninger.org (Wade Heninger) ([Leica] New Gallery - A Hush)