Subject: [Leica] OT: Darkroom Equipment?
From: nbeddoe at lehman.com (Beddoe, Neil)
Date: Tue Nov 23 05:44:38 2004

It depends on what kind of room you've got at home and what you are
going to be printing.

I'll tell you what I've got and why I bought it.

Leitz V35 with a 40mm Focotar and a variable contrast head.  The
autofocus really works if you set it up correctly and saves a lot of
time when you are composing the print on the easel as you don't have to
keep refocusing and checking grain.  You still need to check focus when
you change negatives though.  This only does 35mm so I've just bought a
Fujimoto VR 70 -for 100 GBP!  Digital is great for lowering enlarger
prices. I bought this in order to print from Xpan negs so I'll probably
sell the V35 as I haven't really got the room for two enlargers

An RH Designs analyser Pro.  This is a combination f stop timer and
exposure meter that allows you to take measurements and place tones
exactly on a greyscale.  Unless the print is one I really want to work
on a lot, this has allowed me to stop making test strips.

A Nova deeptank processor.  This takes up about the same worktop space
as a single 8x10 processing tray and the chemicals last for ages so you
don't have to throw them out at the end of each session, you just
replenish them and they are ready when you need to print next time.
Also, it keeps the chemicals at a constant temperature so you get
consistent results.  I keep mine in the garage and it gets very cold in
the Winter so chemicals in trays would get cold very quickly.  If your
room can be kept at a constant temperature at about 20c you could get
away with a Nova monochrome processor which doesn't have a heater in it.
The narrow openings mean that fumes are greatly reduced and you don't
get the horrible humidity that turns your lens into a cloudy blob of
mould.   I'm going to buy a Jobo drum processor soon to do Ilfochromes I
think  but it won't replace the Nova.

Two big buckets (there's no water supply in my garage), both with lids
to keep the humidity down.  I wash prints in the first one for a minute,
then wash them in the second one for two minutes.  After a session, I
wash all the prints in the bath in the house for another two minutes.
This is fine for RC prints but not sufficient for fibre ones which need
proper washing in flowing water.  On the odd occasion when I do fibre
prints, I wash them under a hand shower in the bath for 20 minutes
(still probably not enough).

20m of general purpose blackout fabric off eBay in a fetching burgundy
colour.  The stuff you buy from darkroom suppliers is preposterously
expensive and no better.

I didn't bother with a fan, I just open and close the door vigorously
every 15 minutes or so.

A fridge (for beer not paper).

A radio.

That's it.