Subject: [Leica] Rollei around the house WAS steel reels
From: daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Tue Nov 23 12:12:17 2004

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Kenneth Frazier wrote:

> Daniel, under the "birch tree" you wrote:
>
> > And as I focused on the birch from close range, hoping I had finally
> put in enough shims,
>
> What are "shims?"  I'm not familiar with TLR's.

Kenneth,

The twin lens reflex has an added source for error when it comes to
focusing. There are two lenses and they have to be synchronized.
Otherwise, if the viewing lens focuses at one point and the taking lens at
another ... well, you get the idea.

They are synchronized at the factory. The screens that come with older
Rolleis are dim, very dim, to be kind.

You can replace them with brighter ones from various suppliers (one of
mine is from Bill Maxwell, another is a cheap, but well working one from
that auction place).

The thickness of the replacement screens is not always the same as the
original, thus throwing the viewing lens slightly (but noticably) out of
whack when it comes to focusing.

With the Maxwell screen the difference is the same thickness as Dyno Tape.
By "shimming" the replacement screen up over the body with strips of this
tape, you can get your focus back. Fine adjustments can be made by
"shimming" (layering) layers of Scotch 3M tape on the Dyno Tape (really
high tech stuff here :) )

To make a long story short ... send it to Harry Fleenor in California
instead. He can adjust the taking lens the way it was supposed to be
adjusted and overhaul the shutter at the same time.

> And, the "stump" is a great picture!  As is "Lindome 6."

Thanks Ken!

Daniel

Replies: Reply from kennybod at mac.com (Kenneth Frazier) ([Leica] Rollei around the house WAS steel reels)