Subject: [Leica] Digital back
From: bdcolen at earthlink.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Wed Nov 24 11:09:21 2004

Well, Feli -
1. I don't see color fringing around thin tree branches or visible moir?
problems in the $240 throwaway digital p&S I bought my wife for
Christmas two years ago. And I certainly don't see them in the images I
get from my E-1 - or the images I got from my E20
2. What's the big deal about being able to adjust sharpening level in
camera? I'll save you having to reply - there is none. All the major
cameras offer it -as to many of the point and shoots.

3. Highlights not being clipped is a feature of exposing properly, not
some magic in the firmware.

4. I should hope there's no noise in the blacks at 100 iso, or at 400
for that matter if properly exposed.

The bottom line is that this is a crappy tourist snapshot that could
have been taken by any mediocre point and shoot set at a low iso, if
properly exposed. And to top it off, it's a basically evenly lit scene,
which makes the whole thing even easier to pull off.

The irony, of course, is that if this was an image being offered by the
Epson folks as an example of the magic worked by the RD-1, all the
Leicaholics on the list would be raising precisely the points I'm
raising.

I'm not saying that this is a bad digital image - I'm just saying that
it neither proves, nor even hints at, virtually anything.