Subject: [Leica] Dodgy RD-1 focus (was Nikon's profits tripled)
From: i.watts at virgin.net (Ian Watts)
Date: Thu Nov 25 08:44:31 2004

Frank Dernie wrote:

> The problem with the apparent lens performance was the impossibility of
> focus. The measuring system they use for cameras includes the focussing
> system. IMHE the Chasseur d'Image camera reviews are the most
> comprehensive and accurate I have seen published. FWIW the guy liked
> the camera a lot in the first installment and still liked it, it just
> did not have an accurate enough rangefinder to focus the 50 and 35
> lenses within their depth of field whilst wide open. I shall probably
> not buy one now despite wanting one very much!
> Frank

I'm surprised at this. Is it not possible that they had a duff example of
the RD-1 at Chasseur d'Image? I don't shoot test targets or anything like
that but I usually quickly get a feel for when a camera/lens combination I
have isn't focussing as intended. I had a Canon 10D which couldn't focus for
toffees despite my best efforts. I'm not convinced either that my Noctilux
is quite in tune with one of M6's (though I haven't done enough tests to
prove either way - I just use the lens on a different body). Getting to the
point, I simply haven't had this feeling at all with my RD-1 and any of the
lenses I have used with it so far (mainly a 35/F2 ASPH, but also a 50 Cron
and 24 Elmarit). I've even used the Noctilux virtually wide open on the RD-1
and been as much satisfied with the focus as have been with this lens on any
M body to date.

Ian Watts.

--
mailto:i.watts@virgin.net