Subject: [Leica] Canon 20D with Leica R lenses
From: cummer at netvigator.com (howard cummer)
Date: Mon Nov 29 00:46:16 2004

At 09:06 PM 28/11/04 -0800, you wrote:
>Message: 17
>Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2004 20:58:57 -0500
>From: Ken Lassiter <kenlass@gate.net>
>Subject: [Leica] Digital Module R
>Has anyone used a 20D yet with R lenses?
>How is the viewfinder?
>Is the viewfinder bright enough for manual focussing?
>How is the shutter lag?
>What are the advantages and downsides of this approach?
>Any experience and advice anyone can offer will be much appreciated.

Hi Ken,
When I am not fiddling with the rangefinder on my RD 1 (:-) I have taken
quite a few pictures with my  recently acquired 20D using a locally made
adaptor to fit a new style Leica 28 Elmarit ROM, 50 Summicron ROM, 90
Summicron and 180 3.4 APO. It all works very well. The new coarser ground
glass makes it easier to focus the wide angle lens (the longer focal lenses
are always easier to focus than the wides with the Canon digitals) and the
viewfinder is "bright enough" provided you keep the lenses near their
widest aperture. The 20D is very fast - much better than my old D60 - and
of course since you are manually focusing you don't need to worry about AF
focus lag (which is in any case very short when using Canon EOS lenses).
ISO 1600 is very usable from a noise viewpoint and 8 megapixs doesn't hurt
when it comes to printing. I have owned or tried the D60, the 10D, the
Rebel and the D1 Mark 11 with Leica R lenses and only the D1 Mark 11 is
better than the 20D but it costs a LOT more and weighs a tonne. With the
Canon 20D, IMHO Canon have finally produced a fully competent Digital SLR
which works very well with my Leica R lenses and I wouldn't hesitate
recommending it to someone with a drawer full of Leica R lenses. Better
than waiting and waiting for the R Back!
Cheers
Howard (in Hong Kong)

Replies: Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Canon 20D with Leica R lenses)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Canon 20D with Leica R lenses)