Subject: [Leica] Rollei introduces their own brand B&W film
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Nov 29 01:00:05 2004

>snippet< or Neopan will work better.
> Why market something as 'universal'?  Usually it means that it doesn't do
> anything very well.
>
>> And as I say I don't do well with thick skinned multiple emulsions.
>
> I like them, but I dislike this film for the reasons I've outlined above.
>
> Oh and it's expensive, which I don't like either.  The Maco stuff is much
> cheaper.  But then, there is the box.
>
> Marty

You've tried it? It's been out called something else?
I was wondering if that was what I was reading.

I was not clear in that I like the single layer stuff usually the best. The
thin stuff. That's what I've all along liked.

My first negative hit on the stuff was the ridiculous film speed ISO range
claim but also the range of tones it's supposed to have.

Reminds me of when the C41 monochrome stuff came out they said in effect:
"rate it at any speed you want!"
Gee!

I think the stuff turned out to be more specific as to speed than regular
silver film. If you over exposed it it got bullet proof fast. Under exposed
it it disappeared. You had to nail the ASA right on the money or you were
dead meat. The XP2 was good stuff. But the XP1 which first came out was very
difficult. Agfa gave up fast on theirs quick but gets no competition on
their black and white slide film which I think is still with us despite
rumors to it's death being exaggerated.

On this Rollei stuff some marketing guy was told:
"Tell them anything you want just get them buying the film. We need the
money".

It's like when your friend tells you "Blue Velvet" is the greatest movie in
the history of film then you go see it and it's just really good. Great
even. But you feel let down as you walk out of the theatre.

On this new "Rollei" film they said something like: "thanks to Rollei
engineers over so many years" and it's obvious they had not the slightest
thing to do with it. Silver just isn't one of their metals they would know
much about unless you count the Rollei 35 hanging from your real view mirror
in the special silver plated version.

"I want my money back!!" I'm thinking and I haven't even spent it yet.
Not a good sign.

But who knows?

Mark Rabiner
Photography