Subject: [Leica] WAS Magnum Stories NOW Robert Frank Storylines
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Dec 2 22:02:58 2004

B. D. Colen said:
>>One of the
> best examples of his eye is the photo in The Americans of the New
> Orleans bus/street car, in which each bus window is, in itself, a framed
> photograph. That is one of those photos that forces me to wonder whether
> he really saw all that in a split second; whether he saw it on a
> subconscious, rather than a conscious level; or whether he saw it on the
> contact sheet.<<<<<<<

Hi  B.D.,
I'd put money on your last choice, he saw it on the contact sheet!! I've
seen this picture several times and there's too much happening for your eyes
to really take it all in at precisely the moment the shot was done.

He may have seen something like ..." wow look at all the people
..."click"... in the windows."  Then when he looked on the contact sheet he
was more than amazed it turned out as well as it did. It's "photographic
reaction luck" never the less. This doesn't in any way lessen the value as a
photograph.

ted

Replies: Reply from pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig) ([Leica] WAS Magnum Stories NOW Robert Frank Storylines)