Subject: [Leica] Canon Eos build quality
From: leicaman at lakebreeze.org (Gary Klein)
Date: Sat Dec 4 17:53:13 2004

My experience with canon L lenses from 1996 to date has been very very good.
Each lens has been in for a CLA each twice in that time. These lenses get
used on a daily professional basis and overall I would rate their reliabilty
very good, despite having a mix of materials.

The lenses, I have used which all have been very good are:
70~200 f2.8 L
20~35 f2.8 L
16~35 f2.8 L
300mm f2.8 L
400mm f2.8 L
50mm f1.4
55mm f2.5 Macro
All above are non stabilized type.

Canon Eos lenses that I have used and not cared for:

50mm f1.8 (first series, it died and Canon claims not to offer repairs for
it, it was a great lens, but only if stopped down to f2 or below.)
28~105 f4-f5.6, nice lens but wide open a touch soft IMHO. Cheap feeling to
it.

Just to make you also aware, my Leica M lenses build quality is a quantum
notch above these Canon lenses, but when you look at the cost benefit ratio,
the Canon stuff is pretty decent. I will admit the 300mm f2.8 L lens is just
the best 300mm f2.8 I have EVER EVER used.
gck