Subject: [Leica] OT: Film AND Digital?
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Mon Dec 6 00:45:47 2004

Jim:  The Noritsu and Fuji Frontier scans are a cut above what was
available before from camera shops.  My verdict is that they are OK for
casual Web shots. But for anything I want to put my name on beyond family
and friends, I scan the best shots again myself on a 4000 dpi scanner.

I can get the Noritsu scans in 1544x1024 for $5 at development time, or
about 2000x3000 for $10.  The smaller size will make a 4x6 or a
non-critical 5x7, particularly on matte paper.  The larger size will
theoretically make about an 8x10 or letter size (at ~300 dpi).  The problem
is that they are 8-bit jpegs, so you don't have a lot of room for curve
adjustments.  Also, the machines are often set for the typical snapshot
exposure, which means blown highlights, black shadows, and stretched
midtones.

That said, when I shot my cousin's wedding in New York this summer, I was
not about to scan 9 rolls of film myself.  I took them to Costco, and they
did a pretty good job. I did some minor batch adjustments "by the roll" in
Irfanview, made a presentation, and sent them to the family.  I could have
done a better job myself if I had time (and I did, for the few shots I
wanted to print myself).  Everybody was happy, so who am I to argue?  But
Costco scratched my film @#$%!

Now, here's a roll of Tri-X I just shot on Thanksgiving, with an M6, 35/1.4
'Lux ASPH and 50/1.5 V/C Nokton.  I took the photos right off the CD, and
batch resized them to 50% in Irfanview with a very slight sharpening:
http://www.2alpha.com/~pklein/thanksgiving2004/

These are 1544x1024 Noritsu scans done by a local camera shop (Ballard
Camera, Seattle).  They also develop B&W in Xtol!  These are a bit better
than Costco, and they didn't scratch the film. But there's the same
compression in the highlights and "by the roll" exposure that doesn't work
for every shot.

Now, all that said, I just printed the third photo,
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/thanksgiving2004/01910007.html
and it makes a very nice matte 5x7.  If I want to print it bigger, or get
detail in my Dad's hair, I'll have to scan it.

Hope this helps,
--Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

Replies: Reply from daniel.ridings at edd.uio.no (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] OT: Film AND Digital?)