Subject: [Leica] Epson Brochure
From: timatherton at theedge.ca (Tim Atherton)
Date: Tue Dec 7 21:41:00 2004

> Today in the mail I received a brochure from Epson. On the inside was a
> full page (17X20) print of a photo taken by Jay Maisel. Is it
> just me or is
> the color so unbelievably garish ?

I always thought pretty garish was a Jay Maisel trademark? (as were fairly
hight contrast scenes with little shadow detail).

> The evidence that digital convenience has caused people to lose sight
> of old fashioned photographic quality is all around us.  It creates a
> market for lovely, old fashioned photos.  Bewdy!

> Luddites rule!

Ah  - they do indeed. But never mind "lovely, old fashioned photos" or
modern hi-tech digital photos - I'm actually only interested in good photos.

The digiterati with all their gizmos are often actually very akin to the
"creating the perfect darkroom print (preferably with a nice selenium or
sepia tone - or better yet in Platinum) crowd" in that so often they seem to
be trying to use mastery technique or the best equipment to try and make
silk purses out of sows ears!

If the picture is crap in the first place nothing is going to help it. And
if it's good, it doesn't matter if it was taken with a Deardorff or a
digital Epson rangefinder or a Leica or a Holga - it's still good.

:-)

tim a

Replies: Reply from tarek.charara at pix-that-stimulate.com (Tarek Charara) ([Leica] Epson Brochure)