Subject: [Leica] Epson Brochure
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Dec 7 21:51:13 2004

Richard Comen asked:

> Today in the mail I received a brochure from Epson. On the inside was a
> full page (17X20) print of a photo taken by Jay Maisel. Is it just me or
> is the color so unbelievably garish ? Also I noted that the shadows have
> absolutely no detail, just pitch black. Am I wrong or am I showing my age
> and just being very ludditic ( if that is a word)?<,

Hi Richard,
If that's the case then it's how the brochure was designed to look. To show
drop dead in your face "garish colour" as you say.

In real life of how we print colour off a 2200 with Epson inks and papers
depending on the photo content and lighting there's usually detail in the
shadow, if the photo requires detail there. Otherwise it goes black.

On the other hand maybe what you perceive as garish the graphic designers
felt was smashing brilliant colour and that's why they used this particular
photograph to illustrate what Epson feels is an effective colour photograph
from one of their printers.

By the same token it may have started without any shadow details simply
because Jay shot it in that fashion!  I believe he shoots chrome film
exposing for the highlights and everything else falls in behind that.
Besides if you know his work and style of shooting with Kodachrome, if he's
still using KR, quite often he'll go strictly for the rich highlight colours
and allow shadows to go black.

So I'd not get overly concerned about digital printing in the brochure that
you perceive here.

ted