Subject: [Leica] Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas M. Sharp)
Date: Wed Dec 8 08:23:37 2004

That will hurt a lot of people Ted, but it's more or less what I wrote to
David
Young off-list a while back. I might just add that Leica has already long
since
become a company almost solely supplying professional standard equipment to
rich
amateurs and collectors. Statistics here show that the total annual turnover
of
second hand Leica equipment is now way above the figures for any new
equipment.

Yourself,Tina Manley and a very few others have upheld the proof that a
Leica
is, can be, could be and should be a professional camera.

Leica should be asking themselves " If our stuff is so good why aren't
people
using it?".
The permanent management crisis goes IMO back to the relics of the "Family
Firm"
They never had managers as such, just a grey eminence somewhere who decided
on
policy without discussion (BTW a German management trait, after 30 years in
German company where managers think (and say) they're allowed to shout at
people
and insult them because they're managers I now think this IS typical).
On this basis Leica missed the boat at the start of SLR technology,
TTL-metering, Auto-focus, Half-frame, 110 format, APS and now digital -
plenty
of prototypes and pre-production models but then THE WORD from ABOVE - THIS
IS
NOT LEICA AS WE KNOW IT!! It's a wonder Barnack ever managed to get his
stuff
approved!

Regarding customer/user feedback Leica has been sitting on it's ears for
years,
I know some people like it, but did anyone want the M5? Why did it have to
be
Minolta that made the  right decision (within limits) to update the CL to a
CLE?

Leica is not in the Black Forest, they are heading for a black hole and with
their "new" developments they are not only going to miss the boat, nobody
bothered listening to the directions of how to find the pier.

It will, of course, be a sad day when Leica Camera finally folds, but they
only
have themselves to blame. I will definitely miss them, maybe shed a tear or
two,
but then business as usual from then on. There's a german saying which
translates as "Other mothers have pretty daughters too" which seems to be
appropriate. Maybe in 10 years or so there will be a working industrial
museum
of photography in Solms, probably run by Zeiss (or maybe a chinese
consortium)producing a la carte souvenirs for rich tourists,who knows?.
regards from the land of Leica and Rollei (for whom the bell is already
tolling
again)
Douglas
Still using a bunch of Leicas but also not allergic to a couple of Canon's
DSLRs
when appropriate, and finding them becoming more and more so.

BTW Leica never was in the Black Forest, that's where Cuckoo-clocks and
cakes
come from.
Leica is in the state of Hessen, where the Hessian mercenaries were hired to
fight in the Americas.

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS)
Message from rdcb37 at dodo.com.au (Rick Dykstra) ([Leica] Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS)
Message from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Digital Module R sensor vs EOS 1D IIS)