Subject: [Leica] New Life for Old Glass
From: nicholsj at edge.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Thu Dec 9 18:44:19 2004

Luggers,

When one is retired and watching one's budget, any new glass in-hand is a
joy.  Recently, John Heintz and I swapped a pair of Steinheil lenses from
many years ago.  I received a Culminar 85mm f/2.8 in Exacta mount.  Since
the shutter on my Exacta VX1000 acts as if it were lubricated with molasses,
I installed the lens on the simplified Exacta, the Exa, the one advertised
by one of our Luggers as having only two functions.  With its small range of
shutter speeds, 1/25 to 1/150, using a rotating mirror as a shutter, it is
very reliable and low-maintenance when compared to its big brother, the
Exacta.

John asked to see the results of this marriage of "oldies", so I added two
frames from my first roll of Kodak Gold 200 to my gallery.

The first, dedicated to GeeBee, is a cloud shot, backlighted, just before
sunset.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Musings/Clouds14

The second, a fitting subject for a lens and camera of this vintage, is a
restored 1932 Great Lakes Biplane, lovingly restored to better than new by
its owners.  From the warmth of the colors, the old glass feels right at
home with such a subject.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/Musings/GreatLakes

John, I'm proud to put the lens to good use.  I hope your IIIf returns to
your hands before too long.

Jim Nichols
nicholsj@edge.net

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] A few images of my Nepal trip)