Subject: [Leica] Re: Achilles, Virginia now graves
From: cmbrow at wm.edu (Chandos Michael Brown)
Date: Sun Dec 12 08:24:44 2004

The next PO down the rode from Achilles is Bena, where resides the
largest of the Black Baptist congregations in Gloucester.  Its cemetery
is much more recent than the one in Achilles, and none of the graves are
capped, but it's also on marginally higher ground.

At the same time, it was common around the turn of the 19th/20th
centuries for Black families in the South to protect deceased members of
their families from "nightriders," who exhumed recent corpses for the
purpose of selling them to local proprietary medical schools.  There's a
rich African-American folkloric tradition associated with this practice,
including at least one blues song.  Families would counter the threat by
keeping bodies aboveground until they were decomposed enough to render
them unfit for use as anatomical cadavers, by guarding gravesites
continuously until the same end was achieved, by decorating graves with
various objects to 'protect' their contents, and by making it as
difficult as possible to open the grave--which might include capping.
The concrete and granite slabs that I observe here in Guinea would
certainly require several men to move them.

Cheers!

Chandos